View Single Post
Old 04-08-03, 04:46 PM   #22
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by fish
but I could not find any comment on the actual problem! - does that mean NVIDIA is aware of the problem or is not aware of the problem or ignores it or works on it or ... - what?!?
That means I don't have any good ideas. I wanted to make sure people weren't getting the wrong impression about the documentation, but I don't know what the slowdown issue is, no.

And I'm not affiliated with nVidia at all, either. It almost sounds like you think that may be the case; it's not.

Quote:
You said "And AFAIK, the driver options are all still implemented." Does that mean they still do not work?
That means that they're implemented: the XFree86 driver recognizes and uses all of them (assuming the hardware support is there -- UBB, for example, doesn't work on non-Quadro cards). The kernel module also recognizes and uses NVreg_EnableAGPFW and others, if it's given them, and assuming that both the host-bridge and the card support it (check the various /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/* files, like you've done).

Quote:
Maybe that's the reason I can't enable Fast Writes?
Well, FW is a kernel module option, not an XFree86 option. It works for me. I see from your earlier posts that the card file says that FW (and SBA) are both not enabled on the card -- this has nothing to do with the chipset/GPU, it has everything to do with the manufacturer, and the card as a whole. The contents of the /proc file is what the hardware is telling the kernel module, too, so it's not like it's wrong. Your friend's card worked because it's a different card, that reports to the kernel module that it can do FW.

Quote:
Can the disabled Fast Writes cause these performace losses?
Possibly, but not likely. FW aren't really all that fast, but they might help a bit.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote