View Single Post
Old 10-01-06, 08:58 PM   #1
Supercargo

Unhappy Can't output to Sony TV via DVI

I've spend a long time troubleshooting this issue and I've reached a point where my knowledge will take me no further. Please excuse the long post, but I've tried a lot of things and I hope that might help find a solution (or, the specific problem)

What I'm trying to do:
I'm trying to drive my Sony KDS-50A2000 (a rear projection LCoS unit) via its HDMI input. I'm using the GeForce 6150 which is onboard my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard. I am use one of those DVI to HDMI cables. I'm trying to drive the Sony at 1080P (60Hz), which is the native panel resolution and is a supported format the set accepts over HDMI. I have been focussing my effort on the 8774 drivers from AtRPMs on a Fedora kernel: 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5. The problem, simply put, is that the display doesn't come up.

What Does Work
Obviously there are a number of reasons this could fail. I'm somewhat supprised that this still fails considering what I can get working.
  1. I can drive other DFPs with X and the nvidia drivers just fine over DVI
  2. I can drive the TV (all be it only at 1080i) using the same DVI -> HDMI cable from my Powerbook. The mac sees the connected panel as a "Sony TV" and sees a number (although not all, hence the 1080i) of the resolutions they are mutually capable of.

At this point I'd like to mentions that X doesn't seem to get EDID information from the Sony, so I've disabled that. If I don't disable EDID, X just discards my modelines because it can't validate them.

I have been able to trick X into giving me what I want, but its not pretty:
If I connect another DVI device (a viewsonic 20" LCD) and bring X up in some mode that both the viewsonic and the TV can display, then switch the connector over to the TV, the TV will come up. This even works with EDID, because the Viewsonic reports EDID info to X correctly. I can even go a step further by disabling EDID, asking X to bring up the viewsonic at 1080p (which the panel doesn't support, but X doesn't realize this anymore). The viewsonic goes all crazy as it gets 1080p jammed down its throat. Switch the cables over and viola, 1080p on the Sony comes up.

What I haven't done
(And something I'd like to avoid) is to install Windows on the same hardware I currently have fedora installed on and see if windows handles the TV as gracefully as the mac did. If I _did_ do this then I would have proven (to myself anyway) that the fault falls squarely on the nvidia linux driver, not the hardware and not the display.

Conclusion
As far as I can tell, with the TV plugged into the nvidia card, the nvidia driver behaves as if nothing is plugged into the DVI port. I guess there is some handshake that it expects that the TV does not respond to. What are my courses of action? Does anything I'm saying make sense? This post is already running long, so I will put off posting a full xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log until someone asks, but here are the most interesting sections of the xorg.conf I am using to trick X with:
Code:
Section "Monitor"

Identifier     "SXRD-HDMI"
    VendorName     "Sony"
    ModelName      "KDS-50A2000"

# Tried including broad ranges here to avoid DDC to no effect.  Ultimately leaving these commented out still allows me to trick X in conjunction with the viewsonic
#    HorizSync       30.0 - 90.0  
#    VertRefresh     30.0 - 60.0
    ModeLine       "ATSC-1080-60p" 148.4 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Option         "UseEDID" "FALSE"
    Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
    Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxSizeCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck"

EndSection

Section "Device"
    # Edit the BusID with the location of your graphics card
    Identifier     "nvidia1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BusID          "PCI:0:5:0"
    Option       "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "SXRD-Digital"
    Device         "nvidia1"
    Monitor        "SXRD-HDMI"
    DefaultDepth    16
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "dfp"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       16
        Modes       "ATSC-1080-60p"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I'd be very appreciative of any insight anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Adam
Supercargo is offline   Reply With Quote