View Single Post
Old 10-10-06, 04:51 PM   #634
superklye

Default Re: *** Official Guild Wars Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiukNiuk
This game is not about leveling AT ALL.
Getting to lvl 20 can be considered as THE TUTORIAL.
The real game begins at lvl 20, because you're considered as a player who knows the game mechanics.
That's why max dmg weapons and max armors can be available to everyone.
there's no "super über weapon" or armor in this game, everyone's got the same thing.

Remember that in guild wars time spend playing < the way you play.
Even if you have 1.000+ hours of play, you can be beaten by a (so called) noob, who uses his skills "better" than you.

This game is all about tactics, cooperation, and choosing well the 8 skills on your skill bar before fighting in pve/pvp.
If you can't understand that, and if can't past the "omg lvl 20 only lolz" thing, then sorry but go play another game. Guild wars is not for you.

EDIT: I agree that in factions you gain levels very fast...and to be honest the whole factions game is too short (yeah I was really disappointed by factions).
But I have some high hopes for nightfall :
I played a lot during the pve event, and I managed to get to lvl 19 in...36 hours !
And It was only the "noob island" !
If the rest of nightfall is as long, dense etc...it'll be great !
If the game wasn't about leveling, then every character would start at level 20 and that would be it. The game isn't JUST about PvP. There's a story aspect as well, and part of the story is growing as a character (shown by gaining levels) and taking on larger and larger monsters to finally vanquish the ultimate foe and save the world.

Again, if levels weren't important, every character should just start at the highest and be done with it. Or, even better, not have levels at all.

Gaining levels is a way of rewarding players for time spent playing. It gives a sense of accomplishment, and once you reach the highest level, that sense of accomplishment is HIGHLY diminished since all the XP you continue to receive is only giving you more skill points, and after you’ve got 200 skills to choose from, again: the sense of accomplishment is gone. Yippee, I get to buy another skill I’ll probably never use.

Plus, levels beyond 20 would give additional stat points which would further make characters stronger. The addition of higher levels would mean harder enemies, better weapons/armor, etc…I don’t expect them to just up the levels and leave everything else the same.

It’d be nice if the “Diablo’d” the game up a little more…higher level cap (and make the levels past 20 “epic” levels like DnD or something, so you have a “prestige” class or some such thing), add unique weapons (and just all-around better drops on boss characters) and item sets that have additional bonuses the more pieces you have. None of those things would detract from the game. It’d make it a hell of a lot more fun, I think, since there are more things to strive for and try to attain.

Meh, whatever. It’s still a fun game, but I feel it has all this potential and just ignores it.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote