View Single Post
Old 10-19-06, 12:58 AM   #75
Warwind

Default Re: Official Flight Simulator X Thread

Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

Is anyone else but me having problems activating the game?

I bought my copy at our local Walmart. When the activation dialog comes up, I select "Activate now". On the next screen, I enter my product key, and hit NEXT. Then, it tries to connect to the activation server, and I get the message:
"A technical problem occurred while accessing the online activation server. License authorization was unsuccessful.

"We apologize for any inconvenience. The problem may be due to a temporary network interruption or the server may be busy at this time. If the problem persists, check your network connection and verify that you can browse the Internet with your Web browser."
When I try the "Activate by telephone now" option, I get the following error message:
"An error occurred while attempting to activate the product. The problem may be due to an incomplete installation of the application. Reinstalling the application may resolve the problem. Otherwise, please contact product support for assistance."
Here's what I've done so far (unsuccessfully) to try to fix the problem:
- I've completely uninstalled, and re-installed the game three separate times, rebooting in between.

- I've made sure Zone Alarm gives the game full permission to access the Internet, and I've even tried activating with ZA not even running.

- I've called the phone number listed in the "Phone Activation.xml" file located in the game directory; they want me to enter a PRODUCT ID (not the product key), but I can't find one anywhere in any of the documentation. There is no product ID under Help/About Flight Simulator X in the game menu (it's blank).

- Returned the game to Walmart, and gotten a replacement copy; same issues.
Can anyone think of anything else I might try? I'd be grateful for any suggestions. I'd try installing it on my laptop just to see, but I don't want to run it there, and I'm afraid if the activation is successful on the laptop, I won't be able to re-activate on my desktop system.

Thanks for reading!

-Tom

UPDATE: I finally got through to Microsoft on the phone, and was told that this is an issue they're aware of. The technician had me create a log file that I sent to them, and they're going to call me back when they have a solution. I'll post it when I get it, in case it happens to anyone else.

In the meantime, I guess I can only play in 30 minute chunks for now... :-(

Last edited by Warwind; 10-19-06 at 01:49 PM. Reason: update
Warwind is offline   Reply With Quote