View Single Post
Old 10-25-06, 12:58 PM   #253
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Default Re: 8800GTX is selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Believe me.. I know how all of this stuff works; I was preaching to guys for months to go with single-12vrail PSU's because of the distribution problems with amps on multi-rail PSU's a few months ago, but with the advent of triple and quad-rail PSU's, those problems are becoming less and less as long as you have at least a pea-sized brain sitting on your neck and can figure out what PCI-E connector is pulling from what rail.
OK so you are assuming Quad rail PSUs are better than dual or tri rail for some reason? The number of rails is of very little importance. What is important is amperage distribution of the harness. For instance, if one was to use an older 1kw turbocool they had quad rail, yet only ONE rail was dedicated to the PEG connectors it was having problems with X-fire. PC Power redisgned the rail distribution when this problem arose and that is why you see 3 different verisons of the 1kw PSU.

Quote:
Single-rail PSU's are all good and fine. I own a Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF that has 38A on a single rail. But in the long run, they are less efficient than splitting up the power draw among multiple rails. Single-12vrail PSU's usually have less combined amps and have to push more wattage to get the same amount of power as multi-rails.
Efficiency also has very little to do with amperage distribution, I don't know where you got that idea...

Quote:
As long as you know where the power-draw is coming from on the PSU that you are purchasing, you are good to go. Here is a good review from JonnyGuru's site on the Silverstone Zeus Quad-rail that I just ordered. If you notice, every one of the PCI-E connectors are labeled so that you know where your power-draw is coming from. And 3 of those quad-rails can be used for your graphics cards--giving you a combined 54A (minus what goes to your drives and case fans, which usually isn't much.)
Again, I am not saying YOUR PSU won't work so you don't need to defend your purchase.

You generalized assuming all quad rail PSUs are capable, when that is obviously not the fact.
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote