View Single Post
Old 11-04-06, 06:14 PM   #18
pest_789

Default Re: HDTV (1920x1080) video + nvidia + mythtv = Frustration

I just gave up in disgust and did the old 'apt-get install nvidia-glx'.

Now with the same xorg.conf that a few minutes ago gave me only half a picture, I get a perfect desktop, but I'm back to Xorg at 100% cpu any time I try to play a video in myth.

I also just tried installing some of the older drivers out of the archive for fun and found that even something as new as 8756 won't compile the kernel driver on edgy.

It'd be SO nice to get a release that has both of these bugs fixed AT THE SAME TIME.

I've been using an HTPC in one form or another since 1999 and have seen the same bugs get killed and then re-introduced into drivers from both nvidia and ati all along the way. Is it that hard to keep the code-base clean?

These drivers are getting so complex, they should adopt a versioning scheme like the kernel and FREEZE FEATURES on say, the 8xxx series and JUST fix bugs. Then when they introduce new features, start a 9xxx series to break stuff in so that those of us that don't need the new crap can just have drivers that get MORE stable instead of constantly searching for a magic release that only has bugs that don't break the specific things we need.

Its looking like there's no version in existence right now that will give 1080i without breaking myth playback that will compile on edgy.
pest_789 is offline   Reply With Quote