View Single Post
Old 11-06-06, 01:22 PM   #12
gmp

Default Re: Install problem :: FC6 64 bits & 7900Gs.

Good luck with that. I have to say that as a major studio we don't even have any windows machines in the building. If you really want to excel in the business I would suggest that you had better come to grip with working in linux because Windows is simply unsuitable in a large production context.

This is a technical business and you'd better embrace the technical aspects or you'll be one of those perpetual junior artists that never get advanced because they can't shell script, use mel, write shaders, etc.

If you want to et the driver working you can try this:

1. log in as root
2. edit the file /etc/inittab so that the following line:

id:5:initdefault:
is changed to:
id:3:initdefault:

3. copy the installer to /tmp
4. reboot

Now you'll notice that X did not start. This is good.

5. log in as root.
6. cd /tmp
7. make sure the driver is executable

chmod +x ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2

8. run the installer in extract only mode

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2 --extract-only

this extracts the installer file into a directory.

9. cd into this directory and you'll see that there's a whole bunch of directories inside.

10. cd usr/src/nv/
11. ls and look for the file nv-linux.h
12. edit the line
#include linux/config.h
to read:
#include linux/autoconf.h

13. save the file
14. cd /tmp
15. cd into the driver directory again and you'll see the driver installer script.
16. run the script
> ./nvidia-installer

This should install the driver. If you are on a 64 bit machine YOU SHOULD INSTALL the 32-bit compatability libraries.

17. reboot
18. Log back in as root
19. type >init 5

This will bring your run level up to 5 and start X, etc.

I would work to configure your xorg.conf file with the inittab file still set to 3. This way if you screw up you can still get the machine to boot easily. Once you have an xorg.conf file working you can change the inittab file back to run level 5.

Let me know what monitors your running and perhaps I can suggest an xorg.conf configuration. If you don't know, the xorg.conf file resides in /etc/X11/

Welcome to the world of real operating systems.

G
gmp is offline   Reply With Quote