View Single Post
Old 11-08-06, 11:54 PM   #11
Rakeesh

Default Re: Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 Confirmed for PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem
You mean like Tivo? Its this locked down crap which is why we need the GPLv3.
Tivo's aren't really locked down that bad. I've written several third party mods for them myself. In fact I would go so far as to say my name is somewhat commonly heard of in the tivo hacking scene. Personally I don't like the idea of the GPLv3, as it seems like it is just an attempt at anti-capitalism. Tivo could have just as easily used VxWorks instead of Linux if they wanted to, which has the benefit of having a smaller CPU/memory footprint. Even Linus Torvolds is opposed to GPLv3.

The only developers who seem to want it are those psycho commie bastards like Richard Stallman, except he hasn't even developed anything in a long time. Instead he just preaches software communism all day long, while somebody like Linus actually spends time improving software rather than preaching some bullcrap ideology.

And FWIW I haven't seen any desire for GPLv3 in the tivo hacking scene, and several big projects, such as, busybox specifically modify the terms of their code to exclude any derivative code from adopting GPLv3 terms.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote