View Single Post
Old 04-19-03, 07:52 AM   #33
RobHague
I like cheese.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogozhin
From the ariticle it seemed like the flow didn't check temps but checked whether the application was 2d or 3d, in that case they will have to rma the cards and install a sensor in the core itself, or just use an external. Either way it's a major pain in the azz IF more than a few cards melt their poor little solder contacts.
What are you talking about? FlowFX isnt controlled through the hardware - its activated by the drivers. The only thing that is on/in/near the core is the temp sensor and the drivers seem to just activate flowfx (i assume via voltage adjustment) whenever a D3D or OGL application is run. The card has a 'slowdown threshold' in which it down clocks if it gets to a certain temperature - at the moment that is set to 140*c and they could easily change that to whatever they want (or allow it user adjustable). Problem could be solved very easily. No big deal unless you like wasting your time watching fancy 3d screensavers all day.

Quote:

I guess joesixpack is gonna have to use water (on the computer itself ), since hardcore users only comprise %5 of the graphics card market, but i suppose that the number of fx is less than %5 so what the hell, who cares. I guess that is why nvidia never released any hardcore 3d screensavers (I always wondered).

Have to use the dagger sometimes

rogo
The FX Ultra will never need to be avilable in HUGE numbers because of the fact that the 'hard-core' enthusiast do make up such a small market %. The only thing they need to worry about is getting enough out there for people that want them to be able to get hold of one.

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote