Re: EVGA 8800 GTS + 9742 = freeze
I have a few questions:
0) Did you have a different NVIDIA graphics card working in Linux in this same motherboard prior to the 8800?
1) I doubt this is causing the hang, however is there a reason why you're not requesting the glx module in xorg.conf ?
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
(EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
(EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
2) Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?
3) If you boot with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel parameters does that have any impact?
4) Does using a kernel.org kernel have any impact?