View Single Post
Old 11-16-06, 12:08 AM   #1
89gtaman

Default Unable to load kernal module error...???

Greetings all,

I am new to Mandriva 2007....Linux in general. I am quickly learning my way around, however I am not able to enable AIGLX or Xgl on my machine. The reason why I want to enable this is so that I can take advantage of the 3D desktop option, also so that the graphics are a little quicker than software rendering. I have a GeForce MX 440 card that I tried installing the driver pack for. I started to run the installer however during the process where it registers the kernal I got the following error

"Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).

I have searched for topics online on how to solve this but I was not sure what I am actually looking for. I read somewhere where I have to install the updated source code....but I have no idea how or where to do this. Is there anyone that has had a similar issue, and that could give me a helping hand on how to solve this. If you need anymore information on my system just ask. I have attatched a copy of the log file if that helps determine the cause of the issue. Thanks a bunch

Brad
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-installer.txt (20.8 KB, 179 views)
89gtaman is offline   Reply With Quote