View Single Post
Old 11-21-06, 04:04 PM   #10
Naked

Default Re: Geforce Go 7950 GTX stability problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I tracked down a notebook with a GeForce Go 7950 GTX, and didn't run into any corruption while X was running. This problem appears to be specific to your environment/notebook. Unfortunately, I do not have any Rock laptops here to test with.
Thanks for looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
With respect to the instability, if you could isolate it down to specific applications or reproduction steps, I could look into that further.
Actually, I now have some clue to what might be going on.

I have windows installed on this laptop as well - and I tried some driver versions on the Windows side. Obviously, none of the nVidia publicly provided drivers would accept to install on a Geforce Go 7950 GTX laptop - but I used the modded .inf files from laptopvideo2go.com to force them to install.

All of the windows drivers I tried exhibited the same display corruption as the linux drivers did - except it was much worse, I couldn't even get to the desktop most of the time. But the drivers from the manufacturer work smoothly.

Which brings me to think that there is something special in the drivers I get from the manufacturer that make them work with the graphics card in this laptop. The drivers say to be of version 86.14 and they are available here: http://www.mobile-support.net/drivers/ms10514.zip

Now, if I can find out what's special in those drivers and replicate that on the linux side - I think I could make this work.

Any help would obviously be greatly appreciated.
Naked is offline   Reply With Quote