View Single Post
Old 11-22-06, 05:52 PM   #1
sr20dem0n

Default FC4 system freeze after nvidia driver install

I recently got a new machine up and running but have hit some snags with the nvidia drivers. As far as I can tell there are no indications of a problem in the logs, the system simply freezes solid anywhere between 5 minutes and 1 day after the boot. It runs fine with the default linux driver, it's simply after upgrading to the nvidia driver that it has problems. Nothing "graphically challenging" is being done on this computer, so I don't need the added performance, but the default linux driver has resolution issues with the DVI output and clarity issues with the VGA output, neither of which are a problem with the nvidia driver (at least until it freezes), so I'd like to get this stability issue ironed out.

System specs:
Dual dual core 3.2GHz Xeon (yes dual, dual core, 4 procs in total)
8GB system memory
500GB boot drive & 3TB raid array
GeForce FX5200 PCI (regular PCI, not express)
Fedora Core 4 x86_64
2.6.17-1.2142_FC4smp kernel
nvidia driver being used:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8776-pkg2

Attached is the nvidia-bug-report, it was generated with X running, however the nvidia driver was not in use, I don't know if that will affect the contents. Unfortunately I can't generate the bug report after the problem occurs because the system is frozen solid, I can't even ssh into it.

Also attached is /var/log/dmesg from the most recent boot (unfortunately not using the nvidia driver, I don't have the luxury of rebooting this computer at will ) and /var/log/messages trimmed to the boot right after the lockup (using the nvidia driver)

I checked the stability sticky and am not experiencing any of the symptoms described, however I haven't tried a couple of the fixes that are presented. I am not what you would call a linux expert...I have no problem using linux, fixing most issues, or even setting up a system from scratch like the previously mentioned one, but I have no experience when it comes to recompiling kernels or fixing stability issues such as this one.

If there's anything else that you need I can provide it, just let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (27.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: gz dmesg.gz (6.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: gz messages.gz (7.7 KB, 101 views)
sr20dem0n is offline   Reply With Quote