View Single Post
Old 04-22-03, 05:35 PM   #3
Marty

Hi Rico;
I may have spoeken prematurely. I have the same motherboard as you do and was running RH 8 without problems. I just installed RH 9 on it and had a similar problem with the network card. I found that by putting a pci network card in the machine and rebooting, kudzu woke up and found the onboard card as well as the second one. I then removed the second one and told kudzu to forget the second card. All went well till I upgraded the kernel to 2.4.20-9. That kernel won't see any nic, no matter what. I tried all sorts of things, but it wouldn't work. I went back to 2.4.20-8 (the original kernel from the CD's) and all was fine again. This is the first time I ever had a problem with a kernel upgrade from RH. The instructions I gave you in the last post do not apply as they won't install under RH 9, which seems to have native support fot the onboard sound and nic. The native graphics support is very helpful, but won't run open GL. You will need to install the newest Nvidia driver for that. It's very easy to do, as long as you are booted into run level 3 as root. (To do this edit /etc/inittab and change id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: Then reboot and give it your root password. After you download the file from nvidia website, execute it by typing sh a space and then the name of the driver. You will then need to edit /etc/X11/XFree86config one time. Just change the driver from "nv" to "nvidia" and make sure the load "glx" line is present in Section "module". After that is saved, you won't have to mess with it again. You can test the system by typing startx It should start in graphical mode. You can then change the id:3 back to a 5 and reboot again. You should now have open GL support so you can play UT 2003, etc.

Hope this helps;

Marty
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote