View Single Post
Old 11-27-06, 09:49 PM   #1
darksea

Default Blank screen or nvidia logo, X 100%, FC6, driver 1.0-9629

I have never been able to get my 6600GT video card working correctly with the nvidia drivers no matter what driver/kernel/configuration combinations are tried.

The symptoms are:
  • As soon as X is started, the screen goes blank and remains in the previous text mode resolution of 720x400 and one of the CPUs jumps to 100% utilisation.
  • 1.5 minutes later the screen goes green with thin vertical black stripes, still in 720x400. See attached screenshot.
  • At the 2.5 minute mark, the screen goes black and changes to the configured 1024x768 mode.
  • At the 3 minute mark, the nvidia logo is displayed.
  • All the while the CPU remains at 100%

My hardware/OS configuration is:
  • DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D motherboard with the latest BIOS from DFI's website dated 06/04/2006
  • XFX GeForce 6600GT PCI Express video card
  • AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
  • Fedora 6 core - kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
  • nvidia driver Linux x86_64 Kernel Module 1.0-9629

I have tried the following kernel parameters combinations as mentioned in other forums with the following results:
  • pci=noacpi :- Not workable as it stopped the SATA drives from being recognised.
  • noapic :- no change to the symptoms.
  • acpi=off :- Not workable as it stopped the SATA drives from being recognised.
  • irqpoll :- no change to the symptoms.
  • pci=routeirq :- no change to the symptoms.
  • pci=noacpi noacpi :- no change to the symptoms.
  • noacpi acpi=off :- no change to the symptoms.
  • irqpoll noacpi acpi=off :- no change to the symptoms.
  • irqpoll noapic :- no change to the symptoms.
  • irqpoll pci=routeirq :- no change to the symptoms.
  • irqpoll pci=routeirq noapic :- no change to the symptoms.

The only way I have been able to have a functioning video card is by using the vesa driver. I tried the beta nvidia driver 1.0-9742 today but it produces basically the same symptoms.

Is there anything else that could be tried to get this video card working correctly? I have attached the nvidia-bug-report obtained by booting without any kernel parameters.

Regards,
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0309a.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	22406  
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (32.1 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by darksea; 11-27-06 at 10:41 PM.
darksea is offline   Reply With Quote