View Single Post
Old 12-05-06, 06:32 PM   #5
krader

Default Re: nForce 4 corrupting data written to HDD

I think it highly likely the problem reported in the LKML thread is the same problem reported here by ~domasj. Please read all my messages in that LKML thread. On my system the problem is reproducible 100% of the time. My system had exhibited odd behavior from day one. But the problems occurred extremely infrequently and typically involved symptoms such as being unable to uncompress large archives of diagnostic data sent by customers. I simply shrugged off such problems as being due to the file being corrupted before it reached me.

But eventually my VMware Windows XP guest image exhibited problems. Again, I initially shrugged it of to MS Windows being its usual flakey self. But attempts to do a scratch install kept randomly failing during the installation. So I rebuilt the VMware image on my home Linux server. I then brought that image to work and finished the install by loading IBM specific apps (e.g., Lotus Notes). I then compressed the VMware image with bzip2 and took a copy home. When I attempted to uncompress I found three files were corrupted. When I attempted to uncompress the original files on my nVidia based workstation I found it impossible to do so. At that point I started doing controlled tests. The results are documented in the LKML thread.

Feel free to contact me if you wish to investigate this further. But as a system support specialiast for the past sixteen years who has seen all manner of silent data corruption I'm pretty confident there is a nForce chipset problem.
krader is offline   Reply With Quote