View Single Post
Old 12-06-06, 03:56 PM   #7
krader

Default Re: nForce 4 corrupting data written to HDD

Based on my testing, and the behavior of my system, I don't think there is much doubt that the failure is sensitive to the data pattern and overall "load" on the system. I attempted to uploaded the four files which consistently exhibit corruption when copied but the attempt failed. They range from 316 MiB to 1.1 GiB bzip2 compressed. If you give me an FTP location I'll be happy to upload them.

When you eventually get the file you'll need to uncompress them first. Note that my system had a 2.2 Ghz AMD Athlon 64 dual-core CPU. The filesystems were ext3 with no unusual options. Also, while others have reported corruption with PATA disks I was unable to do so. It appeared that the speed of the disks is a factor.

You'll also note from the LKML thread that I updated the BIOS to the current GA version. That had no noticeable effect. A coworker and I think a likely explanation is the BIOS is being too aggressive in configuring the chipset (i.e., choosing settings that would maximize performance at the expense of stability). Thus leading to exceeding the capabilities of some component. But I triple-checked that all BIOS settings were in the most conservative setting so if the BIOS is at fault then it is beyond my control.
krader is offline   Reply With Quote