View Single Post
Old 12-08-06, 07:47 PM   #1
RandomJoe

Default Configuring X for four monitors

I did some searching, but didn't find anything that helped... But my "search skills" have left a lot to be desired in the past, so please feel free to point me elsewhere if I missed something!

I just purchased an ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe mobo and two MSI NX7600GS video cards (have dual DVI outputs and a 7600GS GPU). While SLI sounds interesting, my primary interest is three or four heads - can't get enough screen space! But I'm running into a brick wall getting both monitors on the second card to work - only the first one gets used.

The system is a Core 2 Duo E6600, 1GB RAM. I currently have Ubuntu 6.06 loaded, no customizations at this point.

I have been able to do the following to get both heads on the first card to work per the README file:
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "card1fp1"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "card1fp2"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen          1
EndSection
But if I replicate that for the second card, changing the appropriate lines (BusID becomes "PCI:8:0:0", I set the Screen lines to 3 and 4, and changed 'card1' to 'card2') I only get the first screen, and a line shows up in the X log reading something like:
Code:
No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:8:0:0) found.
The X log shows the nvidia driver does see both panels that are attached to the second card, but the second display is never used...

Any suggestions or especially a working example would be great!

I'm currently running just dual-head (one card), because I also had issues where the video would hang solid after a short period of operation with both cards in. I did find another thread that suggested trying "pci=nommconf" to fix that - I'll be doing that in a few minutes, but thought I would go ahead and post this problem as well.

Thanks!
RandomJoe is offline   Reply With Quote