View Single Post
Old 12-18-06, 06:36 PM   #9
NotASquirrel
Certified Non-Sciuridae

Default Re: Monitor doesnt like Drivers

I have a problem very similar to this one, including the linux distribution (Ubuntu 6.10) and the lines in xorg.log. (Ubuntu is Kubuntu but with gnome not kde for anyone who doesn't do ubuntu)

Only difference is that my screen does not come up at all, it just makes the login screen sound when a corrupted screen appears. If I type my username and password I get the successful login sound as if the desktop has come up.

Also, If I plug an external monitor into the vga port before starting gdm, everything works fine including acceleration and the laptop screen stays blank. After doing this I tried to use the Nvidia X Server Settings tool to enable the second display but it didn't lead to any success.

I have tried disabling EDID but that did not help at all. Xorg seems to be invalidating ALL modes. Maybe I am not turning off EDIDs properly? I have been putting this exact line at the end of the Screen section in xorg.conf:

Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"

I have also tried the following other lines with no success:

# Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"
# Option "UseEdidFreqs" "FALSE"

# Option "ModeValidation" "DFP-0: NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
# Option "ModeValidation" "DFP-0: NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPclkCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoWidthAlignmentCheck, NoVirtualSizeCheck, NoEdidModes, NoMaxSizeCheck, NoVesaModes"
EndSection

The other difference between my problem and Joeyp2100, is when my modes are invalidated they look like this:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "1024x768"; removing.

... while Joeyp2100's look like this:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "1024x768@60"; removing.

so, no @refreshrate in mine.

If this is a completely different problem, I can move it to a new thread, but it sounded really close.

Thanks for any help in advance!
NotASquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote