View Single Post
Old 12-20-06, 10:46 PM   #132
NthDegree

Default Re: Nvidia 6200 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities

Right i've had the first crash on CentOS x86_64, it was triggered by Firefox browsing "The Cult of The Dead Cow" site. The monitor went into suspend (and wouldn't leave suspend) and since my hard disk depends on apic and acpi I can't test disabling those to see if it has any effect. I believe these are bad writes to memory, where something is overwriting system memory where it shouldn't.

It would be helpful if everyone posted their dmesg's so I can see errors, because on boot I suffer from the following Linux bugs:

"..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
failed.
timer doesn't work through the IO-APIC - disabling NMI Watchdog!
works."

(enable_8254_timer fixes this but makes the clock 15x faster and causes jerky graphics and rendering issues on some games. NOTE: 8254 routing gets automatically disabled on ATI motherboards, wonder why?!)

"Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 2d.
Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?"

(not sure about this one but I assume enable_8254_timer helps there too)

"APIC error on CPU0: 00(40)
APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)"

(that is sorta fixed with noapic but I can't do that or my hard disk doesn't work)

Yes ATI does provide users with some very cr@p hardware, even Windows XP needs special hacks (approximately 8MB of extras included with XP by default to make ATI hardware work). Is there some hackish way I can get the kernel to perform debug dumps? That way it will show what goes wrong when these panics/lock-ups occur and might help solve w/e it is that is causing the issues.
NthDegree is offline   Reply With Quote