View Single Post
Old 12-24-06, 05:39 AM   #1
linuxa

Unhappy Toshiba + Ubuntu + Geforce4 420GO = Major Headache

Hi there

I currently run Ubuntu (Dapper - 6.06) Linux on a Toshiba Satellite 2410 with a Geforce4 420GO graphics chip set. I've been having a lot of problems getting the graphics working correctly. For the record, Ubuntu's stock nv driver works fine, without graphics acceleration, and inability to watch movies full screen (flicker lines).

So I went and downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers (previous versions doesn't work, always get API mismatch errors). Uninstalled the restricted-common modules, and installed the 9742 drivers.

What I've found is that the computer starts with a pulsating white border (think Christmas frost ) against a black screen, it just carries on pulsating, no sound or anything else.

I ended up CTRL-ALT-F1 out of there, executed startx, and it got X up and going (yay!)

Unfortunately, X now has that annoying black bar down the right side of the screen, which I had been able to fix by setting "IgnoreEDID" to true in xorg.conf in the previous version of Ubuntu. This time however, the fix simply doesn't work (tried adding it to the Monitor, Device, Screen sections).

Other things that I have already set or tried are:
1) in /etc/modprobe.d/options, the NVReg softEDID and Mobile options are already set to the correct values. 0 and 2 respectively, I have a non-Compel toshiba.

2) I have tried some of the options suggested in problem section point 7 from here:
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper

It entails adding the following lines to the Screen section:
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
Option "ModeValidation" "DFP-0: NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck, NoVesaModes"

All that did was shrink my screen to 640x480 size to be surrounded with black borders on all four sides.

I'd be happy with any suggestions regarding this issue.

And if you already have full graphics working on a Toshiba Satellite 2410 with Ubuntu, can you tell me what version of Ubuntu and graphics driver that you are using please.

Thanks in advance.
linuxa is offline   Reply With Quote