View Single Post
Old 12-31-06, 10:26 AM   #1
captain_pizza

Default Problems with GeForce FX Go5200, Xorg, and DPMS

I have a Toshiba Tecra M2 that I bought in Korea about 2 years ago, which has a GeForce FX Go5200 in it. The thing still works great, except that since around version 1.0.76xx or so, when it goes into powersaving mode (specifically, when DPMS shuts the monitor off), it isn't able to wake up again. I can get it to come back by logging into the laptop remotely, killing X and restarting it, but obviously I lose my session if I do that (and I have to have a machine handy from which I can log in remotely, and I have to know my IP address (usually DHCP assigned), etc....).

In the past, I've always gotten around this bug by shutting DPMS off; but this is a big problem now, because in recent versions Xorg is enabling DPMS by default, and the nVidia drivers ignore all of the options for shutting it off. I was also originally able to completely fix the problem by reverting to older drivers, but for practical reasons (there are no such packages for my distribution, loss of needed/desired functionality, etc.) I can't really continue to do that. I do want to make it clear that this did work properly before some specific release of the drivers, somewhere around 7600, but I unfortunately have lost track of the exact version of the driver that broke it.

So, 3 questions:

1. Is this a known problem?

2. Is there a known fix for this (other than running old drivers, which I can't really do for practical reasons), particularly something I can put in the config to keep the monitor from shutting off?

3. If there isn't currently a fix/workaround, is this the right forum for reporting bugs to nVidia? If not, who can I talk to about getting nVidia to take this bug seriously? It's been a problem ever since I bought the laptop in 2004, with a particular driver update. Only now it's a REAL problem, since I can't find a way to disable DPMS... :-( Anyway it did work once, so clearly it's a driver problem, not a hardware problem.

The device I have reports thusly via lspci:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200
32M/64M] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device 0020
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 10
Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [44] AGP version 3.0

Thanks in advance for your help!
captain_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote