View Single Post
Old 01-03-07, 09:28 AM   #37
calestyo
Christoph Anton Mitterer

Send a message via ICQ to calestyo Send a message via AIM to calestyo Send a message via MSN to calestyo Send a message via Yahoo to calestyo
Default Re: nForce 4 corrupting data written to HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I reviewed the LKML thread that you referenced and the problem descriptions there sound vastly different from what you're reporting. Your issue sounds like filesystem and/or in-memory corruption, however the issue on LKML isn't occuring on the filesystem level, but in the files themselves.
See the later posts in our thread for our solutions/workarounds (i.e. bios setting memhole mapping=disabled or kernel parameter iommu=soft). You're right it most likely happens below filesystem level...

Quote:
Additionally, you stated that "it boots with some scary messages" and "mplayer segfaults". It sounds like the data on your disk(s) is getting corrupted even when its not being actively written to, which is not the same issue as was reported on LKML.
The corruption definitely occurs also on simple reads because my continuing sha512sums checks bring errors on different files...

Quote:
At this point, the information that you've provided suggests a hardware problem (faulty RAM or disk). If you can provide information that suggests otherwise, I can look into your issue further.
A simple test for domasj would be to use iommu=soft as a kernel parameter. If it works with this setting he is probably suffering from the same problem.
(Note that the issue probably cannot occur with Windows and/or Intel CPUs and/or main memory below some value).
calestyo is offline   Reply With Quote