View Single Post
Old 01-03-07, 02:13 PM   #30
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Default Re: Languages you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Thats why you gotta learn Assembly! Now thats a bitch... had to learn it for PS2 Development.
I'm curious to know how much you actually wrote in Assembly? In my own brief foray into PS2 dev I very rarely needed to look at Assembly - though I guess it depends on precisely what your role in the project is. I would've thought that even someone who was an 'expert' in that kind of field would only drop down to Assembly for some very specific optimisations, and to fix some of those annoying random idiosyncracies that the PS2 has.

EDIT 2: I should note that I'm definitely not proficient in assembly. I've enough experience to know how to find out what bits of assembly are doing, but I wouldn't trust myself to actually write large blocks of it. Even when GPU programming, which I've spent quite a bit of time doing back when I was doing research at Uni, I would use the higher level shading languages (Cg was my one of preference, but of course HLSL syntax is identical, and GLSL isn't really that different), as performance wise (from what I understand) the hit for a compiled shading language is pretty trivial compared to how much time it saves you writing the shaders themselves.

EDIT: It's also worthwhile noting that libraries are often 'first party' - so, I use a lot of libraries written by staff at the company I work for. Although I'm familiar with OpenGL, the glut, STL, and some of the unfortunately dying Renderware, and have dabbled in a number of others, I find that provided a library is well documented, it doesn't take all that long to learn one when you're actually required to work with something. In other words - when one has to work with something to actually achieve a task in a larger project, 'learning' it doesn't usually take as long as trying to teach one's-self something from scratch. Though I guess the sheer weight of time invested when actually working on something (rather than as a free time hobby) also contributes to that.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.

Last edited by Subtestube; 01-03-07 at 02:25 PM.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote