Old 01-16-07, 09:06 PM   #1
jlacroix

Default PC Crashes When KDM Loads

System:
Motherboard: MSI K9VGM-V
Processor: AMD Sempron 2800+
RAM: 1GB
GPU: MSI NVidia 7100GS
Distribution: Kubuntu Edgy 6.10 (x86-64)
Kernel: 2.6.19.2
Driver: 1.0-9746

Description:
My X server was working fine up until I compiled a new kernel today, kernel 2.6.19.2. After I installed the kernel, I purged my distributions stock NVidia driver, closed out of X and installed driver 1.0-9746 from the official site.
During installation, I let the nvidia utility configure my xorg file for me.

I ran "startx" and the nvidia logo appeared and all was well. I tried a few games and they ran very fast. (I also tried dgen, but it segfaults but that problem may not be related to this problem). Overall though other than that everything was running great.

I rebooted my system and everything appeared as normal up until KDM. The Nvidia logo appeared and then KDM appeared. The login screen appeared and then it dropped to a black screen on its own without me pressing anything. I pressed ALT+CTRL+F1 to close out of my X server, and a single blinking cursor appeared in the middle of the screen. Subsequent ALT+CTRL+F1's did nothing. ALT+CTRL+Backspace didn't work either.

I pressed ALT+CTRL+DEL to restart my system. This time, when KDM dropped to the said black screen, I pressed ALT+CTRL+Backspace first before I tried everything else. X restarted and the KDM login screen appeared and stayed. However, my resolution isn't correct and I have no hardware acceleration.

If I use "recovery mode" and do "startx" as root, everything runs perfectly.

In fact, if I use "startx" as my own user account it also works fine with full hardware acceleration. I just can't use KDM for some reason.

Attached are some files that I hope help to get this fixed.

Edit: Ignore the xorg.txt in this post, use the one in my other post below. I posted the wrong one. Sorry! The xorg file in post #3 is the correct one.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (28.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: txt xorg.txt (4.0 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by jlacroix; 01-16-07 at 09:17 PM.
jlacroix is offline   Reply With Quote