View Single Post
Old 01-17-07, 06:23 AM   #30
Xion X2

Default Re: Best air cooling?

Different testbeds. You have no idea what kind of airflow was in the case in that review you found. A better way to tell if there's a major difference is to take a group of coolers from the same testbed like that review I posted earlier. The Freezer 7 Pro is in the same class of coolers as the Big Typhoon, Ninja, etc.. and they all fall behind the Tuniq anywhere from 7-9C, which is exactly what I've experienced as well.

I used to own a Freezer 64, which is very similar to the Freezer 7 if not identical, and it could barely keep my X2 4400+ under 65C Prime load and that processor ran very cool.

Here's someone I found who got a 5C drop going from a Freezer 64 to a Tuniq:

http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthre...60#post2364060

There's just no comparison; it's way out in front. The Tuniq has over twice the amount of fins on it that normal HSF's usually have. The only air cooler that can really come close to it is the Zalman 9700.

And you need to measure your load temps w/ a program like Prime, not just games. That'll tell you how effective a cooler really is. If you don't plan on overclocking, though, then I guess that part doesn't matter as much. Stick with what you have, because it's sufficient.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote