View Single Post
Old 01-18-07, 04:46 AM   #4
bigmrt123

Default Re: GeForce 7300 GT - Just getting started

More updates. I am happy to say I finally got the new drivers working although it was a hard road. I was able to run the nvidia driver install but when i restarted X windows wouldn't start (flashed several times before quitting) and I had a driver API mismatch.

I tried to follow all the suggestions on the board here including what was in the sticky thread:

* development tools like make and gcc are installed
* the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
* the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
* the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option and the file /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx does not exist.

Nothing worked, so i changed the driver to load in the xorg.conf file to nv instead of nvidia and then magically XWindows would load, although it was using the wrong driver. Somewhere along this process all the myth scripts i was trying to run started having Segmentation faults. I am not sure why, i ran an strace and checked the database for errors but that is for another thread. After I got everything working with the nvidia driver this error cleared up somehow.

I am running Knoppmyth and myth tv so then I follow these exact steps (taken from the mysettopbox.tv forum)

cd /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18-chw-13
cp -r . ../linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13

(This merges the kernel-headers with the kernel-source, since the source by itself doesn't have the configuration files that were used. )

cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13
make

(Run make to ensure kernel module scripts are in good shape, probably don't have to wait for it to complete)

mv /usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/startx.save

update-rc.d -f install-nvidia-debian remove
update-rc.d -f nvidia-glx remove
update-rc.d -f nvidia-kernel remove

reboot

(rename startx to prevent X from starting after reboot.)

After system comes up...

rmmod nvidia
lsmod | grep nvidia

(This will make sure the nvidia module is actually gone. The second part should return an emptry result.)

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux

(I had to specify the kernel source path)

You will most likely get a message during the installation process that it had to make assumptions about the paths for X.org. The assumptions that it made are fine.

Once the installer is finished you should be able to safely start X back up, but don't forget to rename your startx executable.

mv /usr/bin/startx.save /usr/bin/startx

(Again thanks for most of this info goes to Scott Milliken over at mysettopbox.tv)

After I restarted i didn't have much hope but amazingly everything started right up and i saw a nice nvidia logo and desktop and i could tell right away that the new driver was working.

I hope at least some of this helps someone as i had to stumble my way through it. Now I gotta figure out why i don't get any sound.

-T
bigmrt123 is offline   Reply With Quote