Re: spend my money!!!
I have a 52" JVC 720p set (it's like $1400 at Best Buy now I think). I didn't get a 1080p set because when I bought mine (during summer) over here in Canada only the Sony LCoS XBR1 was available (the original "SXRD") and it was ridiculously expensive. Anyway, I like my set a lot so I can recommend JVC on general.
I have seen the Samsung 61" HLS87 in store and played around with it (had Xbox360 and Blu-Ray player hooked up to it and a HTPC) and it was a nice TV. I watched some DVD samples on that one, Master and Commander and Gladiator and they looked amazing.
Here are some more tips from what I know:
- crappy menus
- VGA port is useless
- good factory calibrated mode called Theater which is 6500k colour temperature (the ntsc standard, all those "dynamic"/"vivid" modes that you see at the store or so called "overbright" mode, are not how movies are meant to be seen lol)
- may accept 1080p over component with Xbox360? (I recall hearing that from someone on this forum)
- needs to enable some option in service menu to enable 1:1 pixel mapping (I think, if you buy one of these sets, visit AVSforum and ask on there, it's probably pretty easy and straightforward)
That's about what I know.
1. Q6600 @ 3.2, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Powercolor HD 4890 CrossFire, 4GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, 3x 24" LCD, Matrox TripleHead2Go, Audigy 2 ZS
2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp
3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie