View Single Post
Old 02-03-07, 04:07 PM   #84
Bad_Boy
god of war.
 
Bad_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: greensboro, nc.
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy
Default Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I love how after 6 months of HD DVD trouncing BD, BD's sudden almost catch-up to HD DVD is the end of the war.

Give me a break.
Quote:
High-def player sales even, says NPD Group
Tight supply of Toshiba HD DVD models could be a factor
By Susanne Ault 2/2/2007

FEB. 2 | Despite price differences, high-definition stand-alone Blu-ray and HD DVD players are neck-and-neck in sales, according to the NPD Group.

Between April and December, 48% of high-def stand-alones sold were Blu-ray and the remaining 52% were HD DVD. Blu-ray stand-alones, including models by Sony, Samsung, Philips and Pioneer, are priced at about $1,000 and up. In contrast, certain Toshiba HD DVD models can be found for about $500.

One possible contributing factor to the results is that retailers have noted tight Toshiba inventory relative to the flusher availability of stand-alone Blu-ray players.

Also, there are more Blu-ray manufacturers than HD DVD manufacturers releasing stand-alone players.

NPDs data excludes sales of high-def gaming devices, the Blu-ray-compatible PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360s HD DVD drive. NPD plans to update this information on a quarterly basis
That said, I agree. It's too early to declare anybody the winner. But I do think it's kinda odd double standards for blu-ray supporters to get called out as being premature when the first 6 months of all this "format war" crap hd-dvd supporters were rubbing it in blu-ray supporters faces. I'm not naming anybody here specifically, most of them are on other forums and websites.

Anyways, As much as I love hearing the weekly/monthly numbers on the sales between them...we got a while to go before anybody is the clear winner.
__________________
[PS ID: Bad_Boy]
Bad_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote