View Single Post
Old 02-07-07, 03:36 PM   #1
DaWanderer

Default FC6 GeForce 420MX TV Out Picture Scaling

Hello everyone,

I'm setting up a PVR box with MythTV and trying to get the TV Out portion working correctly (everything else has gone well).

I'm using a GeForce 420MX card with S-Video out going directly into my TV. I've installed the NVidia drivers (9631) and configured my xorg.conf with the appropriate settings. The TV Out works, but the picture is being scaled and it results in very poor quality. Specifically, the picture is compressed, causing pieces of the text to be missing or images to be pixelated. It looks as though the card is scaling it to the wrong resolution.

I've spent a great deal of time trying to fix it (I wouldn't bother everyone if I hadn't!), so here are the things I do know:

* If I switch out of X into a console (CTRL-ALT-F1, etc.), the text looks PERFECT. The picture is in the correct spot and the correct size.

* After trying various resolutions in my xorg.conf, I discovered that 720x480 (NTSC) looks the best (although text is still generally unreadable).

* If I set the resolution to 720x480, start up X, switch to a console (CTRL-ALT-F1, etc.), and then switch back to X, the picture is crystal clear but is now partially off the screen (everything got bigger).

* If I use the switching technique above and then run the NVidia Settings program, everything squishes back down and looks awful again.

* Taking a snapshot (using KSnapshot) of the screen produces an 800x600 file that looks just fine (no distortion).

I've looked up the various xorg.conf settings and tried most all of them individually (as well as trying all of the options in the NVidia Settings program). Specifically I've tried the "TVOverscan", "TVOutFormat", "ConnectedMonitor", "UseEdidDpi", and "TVStandard" options.

Looking through my Xorg.0.log file, I don't see any errors or anything that jumps out at me. The driver picks up my options, sets the mode I give it, and goes on it's way like everything's fine.

Are there any other options to try? Is there any more information I can give to help in anyone's responses?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
DaWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote