View Single Post
Old 02-08-07, 05:20 AM   #20
BarnyJr

Default Re: 6600GT Terrible 2D performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulus
You can solve slow 2D Font Redering under KDE, by disable the antialiased Fonts completly (in KDE Control Center).

And instead install a patched freetype-2.2.1, with patented font Rendering enabled. (It is disabled by default) You must recompile freetype-2.2.1 from Source.

Here is a little Hint, how to do this:

DOWNLOAD:
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/rel...-2.2.1.tar.bz2

PATCH:
Enable Patented Font Rendering with patchfile Attachment 23944
tar xvfj freetype-2.2.1.tar.bz2
patch -p0 < freetype-2.2.1_patented_fonts.patch

COMPILE:
./configure --prefix=/usr &&
make &&
make install

Make shure your /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6.3.10 has been updated !
Restart X11.

Thats all, if you now install the copyrighted microsoft ttf fonts on your linux system, you have good looking fonts, without antialiased switched on. And the Best, it looks a loot better than before.
Well I followed these instructions on my opensuse 10.2 system, and it broke my X!

When I try to start X, it says "Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation". Ctrl-Alt-Bksp gets me back to the console and it says the following:

INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
Trying to start a default input method for the local en_US.UTF-8 ....
There is no default input method for the current locale.
xset: bad font path element (#416), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
ksplash: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined symbol: FT_Library_SetLcdFilter
Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.
Warning: conect() failed: No such file or directory
kbuildsycoca running...
kded [kdeinit]: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined symbol: FT_Library_SetLcdFilter

------------
After following your directions, I actually found a page on the opensuse documentation that tells me the preferred way of doing it for my distro. How can I "undo" what your instructions had me do? I've tried everything I know and I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. I found the libXft.so.2 file but don't know how to do anything with it.

Hope you or someone can help!
BarnyJr is offline   Reply With Quote