View Single Post
Old 02-10-07, 04:15 AM   #17
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: DVD and video playback on LCD HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertBanana
Well yeah....I was under the impression that if one played a DVD on a HDTV monitor, that the DVD would still look fairly good because the monitor upscaled the media{where upscaling means...:add more pixels to closely match the HDTV's native resolution}.....however, if it merely doubled the image like you can do with WMP11, then presumably, the image quality would degrade...?

For example, if you have a video file @ 320x240, you can use WMP11 to play it @ 100% or 200%, but @ 200% it doesn't look as sharp, although it's a larger image.

I don't mind the idea of having 1:1 pixel mapping, but if the files resolution is relatively low, then it would look tiny on a 13x768 screen wouldn't it?
Well I wouldn't exactly call it tiny, but it won't be hd-dvd quality that's for sure. Your computer is the one doing the upscaling when you use the screen as a monitor, so the quality depends on drivers gpu etc..
Stretching a DVD to that resolution won't really make such a huge difference, but I'd say it would look better if you just got a dvd player with a built in upscaler and hdmi out.
Just connect the pc to your TV and judge for yourself, I've found that watching DVDs on my comp really doesn't look that bad.