View Single Post
Old 02-11-07, 04:48 PM   #11
nicola.dinisio

Default Re: Freezing problems with a 7600GS AGP

I am experiencing the same problem with an ASUS N7600 GS.
I am running openSUSE 10.2 and the original drivers from NVIDIA packaged for openSUSE 10.2 (I have added the nvidia repository to YAST).

user@demon:~> rpm -q -a | grep nvidia
x11-video-nvidia-1.0.9631-0.1
nvidia-gfx-kmp-default-1.0.9631_2.6.18.2_34-0.1

I have tried the trick suggested above, NvAGP to 0, it does not help.
The only interesting thing I have noticed is that if I boot stopping at run-level 3 and then I login as root and command "init 5", then when I enter X the freeze takes a while to come, a couple of minutes, sometimes more. On the contrary, if I make a plain and simple boot up to the usual run-level 5, then the freeze may happen well before entering the password for logging in!
Even with the "run-level 3 trick, running compiz seem to make the freeze happen in 20-30 seconds.

The thing that makes me nuts is that this video card has been running fine for about a week, and with compiz!. Then all of a sudded stopped working. And no, I did not do any software update that could affect it (kernel, video drivers and the like).

Now the only thing I am left with is the open source driver "nv" (BTW running at 1280x1024 instead of 1600x1200, WTF?), this is the only way I can get some GUI access to my computer.

I am starting to think that there is an hardware problem, probably over-burnt in some parts, begin a passive-cooled card...
nicola.dinisio is offline   Reply With Quote