View Single Post
Old 02-14-07, 05:24 PM   #39
shutdown

Default Re: Unified Xen and real-time preemption patch for 1.0-9625

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogy
Regarding patching, I meant the patch for the nvidia driver, to compile against the rt-patched kernel, because there appeared several times the version number 9625, and other bizarre names and pathes (but I don't know much about patching and diffs):
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/atta...3&d=1171124108
You mean that in the patch file the number 9625 appears multiple times? Don't worry about that, these are part of paths to files to patch. Actually the diffs contain 2 paths for each file, an "old" file and a "new" file and the diff itself holds the information of the difference between those.
So if you create a diff file you copy the source of the code you want to patch to another location, modify it there and then run a diff to compare the old and the new version.
Because the patch for 1.0-9625 worked for 1.0-9746 and just needed changes of the line numbers and one little addition I simply used the old patch and modified it, but left the filenames untouched because they don't matter in the end as you will see:

To patch your nVidia driver you have to do the following:
Code:
$ ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9746-pkg2.run -x
$ cd cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9746-pkg2/usr/src/nv
$ patch -p1 < /path/to/patch
You probably did not change your working directory to the usr/src/nv directory of the extracted nVidia driver which will render the patch utility unable to locate the files to patch in this situation.
I could have created a completely new patch which can be run from the extracted nVidia driver directory itself, but because the patch for 1.0-9625 needed to be run from usr/src/nv I decided to only modify the existing patch and don't change the way one has to apply the patch.
Actually I haven't seen any patch for the nvidia driver which was NOT run from inside this directory lately, so I thought "why change something that is common?"...

Shutdown
shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote