Thread: AMD AM2 5200
View Single Post
Old 02-15-07, 02:58 PM   #2
Gregor976

Default Re: AMD AM2 5200

What is your heatsink / grease etc...? Has it had a few days to properly cure "cycle from hot to room temp a few times"? Are you prime stable at your stock speed?

EDIT:
I just noticed your cpu cooler. Nice. The thermal compound still has to cure in order to cool the chip evenly, but I doubt you will have trouble hitting 3GHz with it.

If so, then I'd oc the mem 1st by lowering your cpu multi and raising frontside bus leaving mem at 1:1 until you see what it's limit at stock voltage is.

Notice your HT link speed and keep it under 1000. That way you can rule it out as a limiting factor. "overclocking the ht doesn't gain anything anyway".

Then I'd put the fsb and cpu multi back to stock and raise it incrementally "a few MHz higher fsb at a time". Letting it go through 1 prime test using 2 instances of prime running "in place large FFts".

Since you know the limit of your memory, you can keep going until you near it's limit. "if your cpu will let you". Then just play it by ear, monitor your temps to make sure that heat isn't a facter and good luck.

This is generally how I do it.
Gregor976 is offline   Reply With Quote