View Single Post
Old 02-28-07, 08:30 AM   #1
doctor detroit

Default X freezes when trying to use GeForce FX 5500

I'm a new Linux user - about a week into my first Linux system. I've spent four of those seven days just trying to get my graphics card to work, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm not as knowledgeable as some...

Whenever I finish installing whichever driver I'm attempting to use at whichever given moment (which always seems to work correctly at the time), I restart my computer and enable the PCI as the default video device in BIOS, and the computer will restart and Ubuntu will freeze during boot up. I don't know enough about what goes on at what particular time during booting, but when the logo is on the screen and the little bar beneath it is filling up, it -always- locks when it jumps into the third section. If that tells you anything.

I followed the NVidia/Linux install guide to the letter and had the same result as all the other (unofficial) instructions I've received. I've completely ruined and had to re-install Ubuntu 3 separate times now - I'd rather not have to do it a fourth.

I'm using:
HP a1030n (official HP page is here.)
Intel P4 530 3GHz
82915G onboard graphics controller
1.5GB RAM
NVidia GeForce FX 5500

Ubuntu Edgy
2.6.17-11-generic kernel
All the required software to run the installer.

I've attached the installer.log file, but the bug report is too large to include. (152.9KB text file).

EDIT:
This strikes me as odd.. Here's the what my xorg.conf looked like after the installer did its thing:
Quote:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

I'll be happy to provide any other info you may need.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip log-files.zip (33.2 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by doctor detroit; 02-28-07 at 11:38 AM. Reason: adding archived log-files
doctor detroit is offline   Reply With Quote