View Single Post
Old 02-28-07, 06:17 PM   #31
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Default Re: Which Distro Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Debian all the way for me though, this n00b likes user friendly.
You must be the first self-proclaimed n00b to call Debian user friendly. :-) I have always loved apt/dpkg and the installer of Debian for their user friendliness and clarity. I never understood why people say Debian is difficult.

When I was new to Linux I used to "tweak" the system to get familiar with it. I would compile my own kernel just for the fun of it -- and to save some precious 300 KiB in kernel size. I would run "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" once a day even for my home server to stay up-to-date. I would tweak NFS-configuration and run benchmarks to get the best performance out of it. I would run benchmarks for file systems. The list goes on. Nowadays I use stock kernel (I often need to manually fix nvidia-driver package though) even for my workstation, update&upgrade my server only when DSA suggests to do so, and do hardly any "tweaking" except for reading and re-reading system service configuration manuals for some additional security. I haven't lost my passion -- I just channel it differently.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote