View Single Post
Old 02-28-07, 08:50 PM   #33
grey_1

Default Re: Which Distro Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd
You must be the first self-proclaimed n00b to call Debian user friendly. :-) I have always loved apt/dpkg and the installer of Debian for their user friendliness and clarity. I never understood why people say Debian is difficult.

When I was new to Linux I used to "tweak" the system to get familiar with it. I would compile my own kernel just for the fun of it -- and to save some precious 300 KiB in kernel size. I would run "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" once a day even for my home server to stay up-to-date. I would tweak NFS-configuration and run benchmarks to get the best performance out of it. I would run benchmarks for file systems. The list goes on. Nowadays I use stock kernel (I often need to manually fix nvidia-driver package though) even for my workstation, update&upgrade my server only when DSA suggests to do so, and do hardly any "tweaking" except for reading and re-reading system service configuration manuals for some additional security. I haven't lost my passion -- I just channel it differently.
Lol, rpm based distros used to make me absolutely crazy, when someone turned me on to debian/apt-get/dpkg it was love at first sight. Maybe "casual user" would fit me better than n00b, but I've heard people say the same about debian being difficult. To each their own I guess.

I lol'd at your 300Kib- been there, and it was a great learning experience. I just don't see the need anymore. Remember Yoper? straight out of the box that was so fast it blew me away.

Now I need to get over my addiction to burning and trying new distros, pick one and learn it love it.