View Single Post
Old 02-28-07, 09:52 PM   #36
Ruined

Default Re: NIN Beside You in Time HD DVD - 5/5 stars on Audio/Video quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Yeah, I know, it's weird. They claimed they didn't have enough time during the authoring phase to get the on-the-fly angle changing working, which I call BS on. Look at all the other HD DVDs that were out, even when they WERE authoring (probably sometime around late August, early September) and had all of the advanced functionality.

I think they just plain ran out of time, or didn't give it the time in the first place.
I heard that the NIN disc was authored by a comparitively inexperienced authoring house that didn't have as much experience as the big HD DVD players who have already done this sort of functionality.

Quote:
And I just read that apparently the BD is encoded in 1080i which I didn’t know was possible. But apparently every player except the PS3 deinterlaces and puts out a 1080p signal while the PS3 can only put out what the media is encoded in.

I still don’t think it’s possible for that to be though. Perhaps evilchris (if he’s reading this) can shed some light on it. I don’t have time to research right now…pointless meetings for the next 4 hours.
This is a limitation of the BD spec. While the HD DVD was encoded in the title's HDCAM native 1080p30 format, Blu-Ray does not support 1080p30 (only 1080p24). Therefore, the Blu-Ray had to be encoded at 1080i60 in order to preserve the original framerate as best as possible. So although the Blu-Ray has a marginally higher bitrate in some areas, technically the HD DVD has been encoded at a resolution identical to the master - while the Blu-Ray needed to be encoded at 1080i due to spec limitations. I'm sure neither presentation disappoints, however.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote