View Single Post
Old 05-11-03, 10:05 AM   #1
jac1d

Default RH9 + Geforce2 + Latest Driver = Nightmare

Hello All,

I have just done a fresh install of RH9 on my machine. The machine has an MSI Geforce2 MX 400 (TV out) card. I did the install and then ran the RH Network upgrade tool and upgraded the kernel to 2.4.20-9 (including kernel sources). I rebooted to load the -9 kernel, then exited X, become root and ran the latest NVidia installer. There were no error messages, it all seemed to work.

I then edited my X config, and made the changes requried as detailed in the readme (changed the driver name to nvidia, and removed a line from the modules).

When I reboot and the system attempts to start X it fatals out and complains that there is a problem with the kernel module of the NVidia driver.

I had this happen once before and thought I might have mucked up my system, thus the fresh install. At this point NOTHING else is loaded except the RH9 iso install, and the updates to the kernel.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what has gone wrong and how I can fix it?

All assistance greatly appreciated.

PS - I'm at a complete loss as to how a stock install of RH9 could get messed up this badly after the driver install - scary.