View Single Post
Old 03-05-07, 12:52 PM   #1
jbrosenberg

Angry Problem with RIVA TNT2, Samsung Syncmaster 204B

Hello,

I am having trouble getting my debian system to drive my new Samsung Syncmaster 204B monitor at 1600x1200....It seems to be sending it 1600x1200@60Hz (75KHz HorizSync)....The monitor just flickers and shows garbled artifacts....

The system has a TNT2 chipset, and is connecting to the monitor via the VGA jack.

I have a kvm switch, and another TNT2 system (windows 2000) works fine. Also, previously I had both systems connected to 21" ViewSonic, and both could display 1600x1200 no problem....

In the OSD on the monitor, it looks like it is actually using a HorizSync of 74.9KHz, when the Windows 2000 machine is connected....

I've tried forcing the HorizSync to 74.9KHz, and set the "ExactModeTimings" "Yes", etc....

One thing I notice in looking at the /var/log/XFree86.0.log output, is that it apparently can't find any EDID info for this monitor....Is that normal? Could that be the problem here? How is the Windows 2000 machine pulling this off?

Through lots of googling around, it seems there are quite a few problems with the Samsung Syncmaster 204B, seems it needs to have slightly reduced frequencies than standard, and that a number of them have had problems (seems an issue with those manufactured in China (as mine was), as opposed to the earlier ones from Mexico?)....

I saw one post that suggested I try to force it to 59.92 Hz Vert, 74.01 KHz Horiz, but this results in the X server failing to start, I guess it determined that the TNT2 RIVA can't handle that speed....

Thoughts?

Jason
jbrosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote