View Single Post
Old 03-05-07, 09:08 PM   #28
agentkay

Default Re: Test Drive Unlimited

This game rocks. I dont know what they did but Im having a blast with it and enjoy it a lot more than the 360 version.

The good:

- Physics of the cars are better. They drive more realistic and feel heavier than the 360 cars. The feedback from the tires is better as well.
- Proper AF
- Better looking HDR (with AA )
- Slightly better looking textures
- Much better looking traffic AI cars (polygons and detail)
- Engine sounds seem to be improved
- Excellent framerate (60+fps at maxed out settings 1280x1024/16AF/4AA)

The bad:
- There are sometimes very short pauses (less than half second) when you drive fast into a new area. Not enough pre-caching? Engine limitation?
- LODing of the racing cars could be better, especially the step from low to medium LOD is quite visible.
- I can see some flickering in distant trees but its pretty rare.
- Im not sure if the game supports 5.1 surround sound. Either Im deaf or its quite hard to hear.
- CTD every 3 hours

Verdict: Overall an excellent port of a racing game that is enjoyable for casual/arcade racers but also sim racers. While there are some minor issues, I think the good sides outweight them by far, especially considering its a port. 8.6/10

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote