View Single Post
Old 05-12-03, 01:40 AM   #1
Supernewby

Default mdk9.1/nvidia install prob solved!

After doing what I thought was a correct install and rebooting, the screen would flash three times and boot into text mode. I went back to the "nv" driver (see last paragaph about vi) and searched this forum and the mandrakeclub forum for clues.

I found one on the mdk-club that said that booting into failsafe is not a normal text mode and that the driver won't install properly for reasons that I didn't understand (a bit over my newby head). The problem is I didn't know of any other way to get out of Xwindows. Pressing cntrl-alt-backspace took me back to a graphical looking login with no other way to log in to text mode. I finally found a way.

In grahpics mode I opened the Mandrake Control Center and clicked on Hardware>XFdrake>Options>No>Quit.
That allowed me to reboot into the real text mode, 'cd' to the correct directory and 'sh' the ...4363.run file.

Now I just had to change to the "nvidia"' driver in the XF86Config-4 file and "startx" (or did I reboot before starting x?). Then I could go back to mdkcontrol center>hardware>xfdrake>options>yes>quit then reboot and ta! da! it's working! Man, I'm feelin like a geek already!

Anyway if your using vi for the first time (like me) to edit the config file I suggest the book "A PRACTICAL QUIDE TO LINUX" by Mark G Sobell. It's got a whole chapter on vi. You need to know the read command ":r XF86Config-4", the insert command ":i", the write command ":w! XF86Config-4" and quit ":q"
Happy Hackin!
Supernewby is offline   Reply With Quote