View Single Post
Old 03-07-07, 02:05 AM   #5
Legoguy
Lego Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Legoguy Send a message via AIM to Legoguy Send a message via MSN to Legoguy Send a message via Yahoo to Legoguy
Default Re: Linux driver produces black screens frequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
If you're reporting that windows appear black after a period of time, that's a known bug and can be worked around by disabling the Composite extension.
This presents a problem for a fullscreen OpenGL window manager like beryl, or OpenGL games... since it's a "known bug," can we expect a fix soon?
When I run my Gateway FPD2485W through VGA, I see some retrace artifacts when there's anything moving on the screen. That annoying effect isn't there when using DVI. So it's kind of a lose-lose: in VGA, I get that; in DVI, I get this frequent screen blacking out problem. And I really don't want to lose the ability to use the new & amazing window managers because I bought a bigger monitor with proper DVI support (mind you, $700 isn't cheap)

[edit] So I just tried your solution of disabling Composite. I still get black screens. This is a different bug than the one that just affects windows, I think...
"... the reality is that GNU/Linux is a better mousetrap. It wasn't started by any company, it is bigger than any company, it depends on no company, and if they all went out of business tomorrow, it would continue." -Groklaw
Legoguy is offline   Reply With Quote