View Single Post
Old 08-27-02, 12:10 PM   #4
Tactics
Green Lantern

Lightbulb

Well I'm about to buy the OEM *points to first link* for $107.00
It seems like a good price. I'm also getting it at a company I have bought from before.

www.resellerratings.com for those who don't know and want the low down on some of these companys out there that claim to have it all and give the best prices. I live by that site.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...tegory_Code=HD

Can someone tell me the difference between the one I want to buy and this one. *points to second link* I see where it says 2MB for the buffer but how could it be more $$$? The one I want has 8MB and all those other specs but there not listed. I found this at alot of sites doing reviews:

The 80GB Special Edition Caviar which is christened as the WD800JB, is the latest drive to be announced in the WD Special Edition line up. Why 'Special Edition'? Well, while all the other 7200rpm drives are stuck with 2MB of cache memory, Western Digital decided to include an amazing 8MB of cache memory into their Special Edition drives which is 4X more than any other drive in the market, making them something really special!

Specifications

80 GB Hard Drive WD800JB
Rotational Speed 7,200 RPM (nominal)
Buffer Size 8 MB
Buffer To Disk 602.0 Mbits/s (Max)
Read Seek Time (Average) 8.9 ms
Write Seek Time (Average) 10.9 ms (average)
Track-To-Track Seek Time 2.0 ms (average)
Full Stroke Seek 21.0 ms (average)
Average Latency 4.2 ms (nominal)
Mode 5 Ultra ATA 100.0 MB/s
Mode 4 Ultra ATA 66.6 MB/s
Mode 2 Ultra ATA 33.3 MB/s
Mode 4 PIO 16.6 MB/s
Mode 2 multi-word DMA 16.6 MB/s

What gives? 2nd drive is more $$$ with less cache.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...tegory_Code=HD