View Single Post
Old 03-14-07, 10:11 AM   #77
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Umm, because graphics are a big factor in whether or not many people will buy the game/get into the experience?

A game that has cartoony, N64-like graphics such as WoW is really hard for individuals like myself to get into in this day and age when there are other very good MMOs out there like Vanguard which slaughter it in visuals.

I mean, let's be realistic. I like to bring up my emulator every now and then and play some old-skool Zelda for a couple of hours, but I'm not going to sit there in front of it night after night months upon months and play it the length of time that these MMOs require. As I said before, if I'm going to be looking at a game for that length of time, then I want it to be visually impressive.

I don't see why you have a problem with that kind of mindset. If you would adjust a few settings in your graphics panel, then you could get Vanguard locked at 30+fps on your single GTX. I know it's possible, because I've done it. Scale the draw distance down some (not a ton, just a little), turn bloom off, turn shadows down to 50%, and you have a game that runs well and still looks a heck of a lot better than WoW.
Again, I do not like the way Vanguard looks regardless of its more advanced graphics engine. Its uninspired generic artwork makes it very boring. Quality of artwork is more important to me than the graphics engine driving the game. And your assessment of the value of games based on their graphics is extremely subjective. I like state-of-the-art graphics but they're last on my list of priorities. And before you mention my 8800GTX, I want something that can run my games at 1920x1200 without hitches and only the 8800 can do it (even for WoW).

Comparing WoW's graphics to a Nintendo 64 shows just how biased you are. The two aren't even remotely comparable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Vanguard is a bit more in depth. Whether you like it or not, it is geared towards a higher age bracket of players(most people i play with are in their 30's).
I don't buy this. It's true WoW has a lot of younger people playing but that's hard to avoid with such a huge subscriber base. While I think a more in-depth crafting system and "death penalty" (which I still fail to see the "mature crowd" draw, EQ had it and everyone played it when they were in high school) are neat, they are game design choices which serve to make Vanguard distinct from WoW but not necessarily "more mature" or whatever. What WoW focuses on is team-based PvP and instanced dungeons, all at the endgame. Despite your greatest efforts your lack of knowledge about WoW's endgame serves to undermine your points. I commonly hear about how easy it is to level, did you ever stop to think that maybe that's the point? Leveling is supposed to be fun, not a mind-numbing grind, and quick so people can experience the much larger endgame that is constantly being added to. And for the record, everyone in my guild is over the age of 25 with the exception of two guys in their early 20s who are still in college.

I'm not trying to bash Vanguard. I'm sure it offers a lot to many players. And if you don't like WoW that's fine. But sometimes I see people say things like "it's impossible to die in WoW", "leveling is so easy and that's all there is to do" etc. just annoys me. Criticize it if you like but at least have your opinions grounded in something resembling fact.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote