View Single Post
Old 03-15-07, 08:46 AM   #12
oboontoo

Default Re: nvidia 7300 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities (driver BUG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
it would help us identify the problem if there were reliable reproduction steps; e.g. in the GeForce 6200 case, the problem could be reproduced reliably (and relatively fast) by playing certain videos using the NV17 Video Texture XV adapter.
For me with 64bit Ubuntu 6.10 and the 9755 nvidia driver it's quite reproducible.
I've done some testing by just opening new screensaver windows arranging them on the desktop so they are all visible (screensaver is skyrocket) and these are the numbers of seconds I got until PC froze.

Code:
1. 33 seconds, with 3 screensaver windows, until complete freeze
2. 27 seconds, with 5 screensaver windows, until complete freeze
3. 13 seconds, with 3 screensaver windows, until complete freeze
4. 35 seconds, with 7 screensaver windows, until complete freeze
5. 31 seconds, with 7 screensaver windows, until complete freeze
6. 12 seconds, with 2 screensaver windows, until complete freeze
7. 11 seconds, with 2 screensaver windows, until complete freeze
8. 14 seconds, with 3 screensaver windows, until complete freeze
9. 9  seconds, with 2 screensaver windows, until complete freeze
Now, it seems to me that something goes wrong either when a new window is being created whilst we have opengl running or when moving a window around whilst opengl is running.
Twice I stopped opening new ones after I had opened 3 and left it running for 10 minutes with out any problems so it appears it's more likely to happen when creating a new window or moving a window around.
If I don't have the screen saver window open I can open what seems to be an unlimited amount of new windows by pressing "Print Scrn" button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	24563  
oboontoo is offline   Reply With Quote