If you have a GeForce 8 and modular X.Org (and patience), and would be willing to help test the "nv" driver, I would be grateful.
Installation should be easy:
- IMPORTANT: Back up your existing nv_drv.so!
- Download xf86-video-nv-1.99.1.tar.bz2.
- Unpack: tar jxvf xf86-video-nv.tar.bz2
- Compile: cd xf86-video-nv-1.99.1 && ./configure --prefix=/usr && make install
- Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change "nvidia" to "nv" in the Driver line.
- Start X.
Note that this driver does not support dual-head (i.e. TwinView) output, XVideo, or GLX. See the "nv" man page that comes with it for more information.
Please reply with feedback in this thread.
Edit: I released version 2.0.0
with some bug fixes on Sunday. Testing is still appreciated.