View Single Post
Old 03-27-07, 06:34 PM   #5
lambesk

Default Re: 7900 GS performance issues

Sure, I can try and explain it again. My previous CPU was a P4 3.06 GHz and my video card was an AGP 6800 GT. In Doom 3 in particular, I would get 52 fps using the built-in timedemo. With that same hardware under windows, I would get around 54 fps or so. As you can see, performance was pretty close. Here is where my problem lies. I upgraded to a Pentium D 2.66 GHz processor and a PCI-E 7900 GS. All of the other hardware (except motherboard) is the same. The cpu and video card are obviously superior, however, my performance under linux is usually in the 49 to 53 fps range and it will only hit 53 when I overclock my CPU to 2.9 GHz. This same hardware under windows will pull in 70.5 fps! We're talking over 15 fps difference now whereas previously the difference in performance was only about 2 or 3 fps at the most.

If I were to reinstall the AGP 6800 GT, I guarantee my performance would be higher than the 7900 GS, and that's just not right. There's no way a slower video card with less pixel pipes and core speed amongst other factors should be performing better under linux. I'm no linux guru by any stretch of the imagination, so if there's any more detailed info that I can give you, I'll be happy to do so. I just don't know where to go looking other than the xorg.conf and the bug report log. This is a clean install of linux and no resident information from my previous video card remains. Thanks.

P.S. -- my motherboard is a bit special in that it can support both AGP and PCI-E, but the PCI-E is electrically limited to 4x speed, but that's the same AGP speed my 6800 GT was running at.
lambesk is offline   Reply With Quote