I believe I've solved it!
Talk about frustrating.
I was messing around with the settings in my xorg.conf file to see if I could make the monitor behave properly if I used modeline settings with the timing set taken from an online gtf calculator that I found.
Needless to say, setting the modelines was a disaster that caused the LCD to completely refuse to display anything. So, I rebooted in single user mode, reset the xorg.conf to an older version (from a day or two before), et voila! It worked. Now, I can set the monitor resolution to 1280x1024 or 1024x768 like I wanted.
I am still not 100% certain why it worked. I believe the old conf file worked because I included Option "UseEDID" "FALSE" in the monitor section. But that is conjecture on my part.
After using three different NVidia drivers, two different versions of X and spending several days of going nowhere, it appears that changing one line solved my most immediate problem. Now, if I could only get Quake 4 to run properly.
Last edited by bigvig209; 03-28-07 at 02:27 PM.
Reason: Changed title